Friday, April 19, 2013

And God Granted His Request



Now Jabez was more honorable than his brothers, and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, “Because I bore him in pain.” And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, “Oh, that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!” So God granted him what he requested. 
1 Chronicles 4:9

Why did God grant the request of Jabez?

We don't know any more about Jabez besides this verse. However, the bible can speak volumes of hope even through a few sentences such as the case here. If we are seeking with an open heart, much will be uncovered to us. 

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." Hebrews 4:12


 Because Jabez was more honorable than his brothers, that honor set him apart. He may have come from a painful background (he was bore in pain) but that did not stop him from praying to the God of Israel, requesting that he be blessed and enlarged in his territory. He apparently had a good heart, he did not want to cause pain or get caught up in evil. He desired that the hand of God would lead him. This heartfelt plea caught the attention of God, thus answering by granting him his request.

God is not interested in your past, he is not interested in how good you are, he is looking at your heart. The bible says that if we delight ourselves in the Lord He will grant us the desires of our heart. (Psalm 37) As we delight in Him, not in evil, not in the world, honoring Him, acknowledging Him in all your ways and He will guide your way.

I was the last one born in my family. I am the youngest of six siblings. I used to think that maybe I was an "accident".. that Mom and Dad already had five kids why did they want another one? Did they really want me? I know they loved me, but I still questioned my existence. I realize now that was wrong thinking! I grew up in "normal" home. At least some of the time it was normal. Typical family issues. Lots of drinking, arguments over money, jealousy among siblings, whatever.

Both my parents have gone to be with the Lord. Mom in 1997 and Dad in 2009. I do miss them!
My dad was an engineer and was away from home a lot. While he was away my mom handled the checkbook. Many times I heard them fight over money. My mom would play the lottery everyday and go to bingo two nights a week. I think she was trying to win back money she had spent. I wasn't spoiled, I had middle class stuff, clothes, food etc. I love my mom very much, it hurt me to see her drink herself to sleep lots of nights.

I got saved in 1993 and started my journey with the Lord. I always knew God existed but I was not brought up in a Christian home. If if weren't for my relationship with Christ, I could not have handled my mom dying of cancer in 1997 just a year after I was married. I would not have been able to cope with my big sister passing from cancer in 1999. If it weren't for the love of Christ... I couldn't heal from my Dad going to heaven in 2009 and my Father in law in that same year.

But through it all, God has shown himself to be loving and faithful. I have honored the Lord and continue to put him first. I can relate to Jabez. Although I have come from a place of pain I am going to a place of blessing. I can believe and expect increase. Just as God granted Jabez's request, I believe he will do the same for you and me. As we call on the Lord God of Israel, saying...

 “Oh, that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!” .................So may God grant my request. 

Job 8:7

Though your beginning was small, Yet your latter end would increase abundantly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading this today Michelle. It made me feel as though it was written just for me :)